- Our goal is to understand the recognition process of odor by the ORs and to explore the potential uses of ORs as biosensors.
- The modeling of ORs provide an unique tool to investigate the odor recognition process through docking of odor ligands to the models.
- Data on odor response preferences for several mouse OR has been compiled by the Harvard team (Malnic et al., Cell 96:713-723, 1999).
- The list of odor molecules that we want to bind to our model includes all odor molecules investigated by the Harvard team plus some molecules of interest in explosive detection.
- The expected outcome is knowledge that will eventually lead us to the molecular design of ORs for specific odor ligands and the development of biosensors.